Avoiding Injuries At The Pool
“Avoidance of injury at the pool” is certainly not what a German man had in mind in this video now having been viewed by millions on YouTube. The man stands outside in the freezing cold in his speedo, turns and faces the camera, gives a few expletives in broken English, then does a cannonball from his deck into his swimming pool… which is frozen solid. His friend with the camera, seeing the jumper obviously in pain and almost naked atop the frozen pool, has a hearty laugh (as did millions of others).
The truth is it doesn’t take an irrational stunt to cause serious spinal cord injuries. Recreational activities are a common cause of spinal cord injuries. Some 15% of catastrophic spinal cord injuries are said to occur from things like full contact sports, horseback riding, and diving.
When it comes to avoiding spinal cord accidents at the pool, here are few things you should know. Most accidents of this type have been reported to have occurred at pools located at private residences. Here are a few safety tips that could save you and your loved ones from the pain of dealing with a lifelong spinal injury.
- Many accidents occur with first time divers. Help them get familiar with the pool before diving in.
- Alcohol consumption is often linked to pool accidents. Take extra precautions if alcohol is a part of your pool party.
- Communicate with guest the layout of the pool, noting pool depths at different areas.
- Upgrade lighting so that depths and pool boundaries can be clearly seen.
- Don’t swim alone.
If someone else’s negligence was the cause of your Santa Rosa area pool accident our attorneys are here to help you pursue your goals. In the wake of a serious spinal cord injury, the financial challenges mount up quickly. Part of the job of your attorney is to help you pursue appropriate damages. This could include the following:
- Acknowledgement of pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Medical equipment
- Adaptive devices
- Lost wage replacement
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Compensation for transportation expenses
Teal & Montgomery has a storied history of serving accidental injury victims including those who have suffered catastrophic spinal cord injuries. Contact us online or call 707-703-4038 anytime to schedule your free initial consultation.