A spinal cord injury may be one of life’s cruelest blows. Approximately 12,000 new cases of spinal cord injury are reported each year in the United States. A spinal cord injury refers to damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves at the end of the spinal canal. These kinds of injuries typically lead to a permanent alteration in potency, feeling and other body functions below the location of the damage. If you or someone you know has recently suffered an injury to the spinal cord, it may seem as though every part of your life will be marked.
Are spinal cord injury repairs possible?
Many experts in this field of science feel optimistic that developments in research will one day make it possible to repair spinal cord injuries. Currently, there are many research studies taking place globally on the subject. Meanwhile, therapies and rehabilitation make it possible for many individuals with a spinal cord injury to carry on productive, independent lives.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
There is no way to predict whether or not an accident will allow you to walk away unscathed or permanently injured. Unfortunately, no one can predict if or when an accident will occur, let alone what kind of consequences will follow. Causes of spinal cord injuries include the following:
- Gunshot wounds
- Car, truck and motorcycle accidents
- Falls from heights
- Diving accidents
- Sports injuries
- Construction accidents
We extend our sympathy if you have suffered a spinal cord injury. We also have much more to offer than sympathy. Our Sacramento personal injury attorneys have the depth of knowledge necessary to pursue most compelling case we can. Call 916-448-1010 today to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers.
Symptoms of Spinal Cord Injuries
Any kind of spinal cord injury can result in one or more of the following physical symptoms or signs:
- Diminished movement
- Diminished sensation, including the ability to feel heat, cold and touch
- Diminished bowel or bladder control
- Amplified reflex activities or spasms
- Deviations in sexual function, sexual sensitivity and fertility
- Discomfort or an intense aching, pain, or stinging phenomenon caused by damage to the nerve fibers in your spinal cord
- Trouble breathing, coughing or clearing secretions from your lungs
Signs and Symptoms That Signify an Emergency
Emergency signs and symptoms of spinal cord injury following a mishap could include:
- Severe back pain or pressure in the shoulders, neck, head or back
- Frailty, lack of coordination or paralysis in any area of your body
- Numbness, tingling sensations or lack of feeling in your hands, fingers, feet or toes
- Diminished bladder or bowel control
- Trouble with walking and balance
- Impaired breathing following the physical damage
- A strangely positioned or seemingly twisted neck or back
Our Sacramento personal injury law firm is selective about which injury cases we accept. When we accept a case, and a new client chooses our law firm, we pull out all the stops in support of that client’s best interests. The legal professionals at Teal and Montgomery are compassionate and committed to giving your serious, catastrophic injury case the full attention it warrants.
Our personal injury lawyers in California look forward to the opportunity to discuss your accident, your spinal cord injury and the compensation that you will need to move forward beyond this devastating blow.
Contact A California Paralysis Attorney At Teal & Montgomery
Our team of dedicated, skilled personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys, located in both Sacramento and Santa Rosa, includes a doctor who is also a lawyer. The entire law firm of Teal & Montgomery is prepared to place a high priority on excellent, effective preparation of your case. Please call 916-448-1010 to schedule a free initial consultation at your convenience. A Sacramento spinal cord injury attorney can visit you in your home or hospital if necessary to discuss any type of spinal injury, from a herniated disc injury to complete quadriplegia — or any other type of catastrophic injury.