Mr. Montgomery has extensive civil litigation experience. The emphasis of his practice is Family Law. He has conducted over 100 court trials in all aspects of family law matters including property division, child support, spousal support, child custody, and domestic violence issues.
Mr. Montgomery has also successfully represented his clients in numerous appellate court proceedings in the First District Court of Appeal in San Francisco.
Mediation is a process through which the parties employ a neutral family law attorney to mediate their disputes. Mr. Montgomery recommends to his clients that they participate in mediation before becoming involved in the litigation process which leads to contested court proceedings. Mr. Montgomery has represented his clients in over 100 mediation sessions.
Mr. Montgomery has served as a judge pro tem in the Sonoma County Superior Court. He was the trial judge in a family law proceeding entitled, In re Marriage of Campbell (1999) 74 C.A.4th 1058. Mr. Montgomery’s judgment in the trial court was affirmed by the First District Court of Appeal and resulted in setting a new precedent in family law. It is believed that Mr. Montgomery is the only family law attorney in Sonoma County who has been appointed as a pro tem trial judge and whose decision has been affirmed in a published decision by the First District Court of Appeal in San Francisco.
Mr. Montgomery has also served as a civil settlement conference panelist and as a family law settlement conference panelist for over 20 years in the Sonoma County Superior Court.
- California State Bar, 1977
- United States District Court, Northern District of California, 1978
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California –
- University of California, Santa Barbara – Bachelor of Arts with high honors, 1972
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Sonoma County Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Past President of the Santa Rosa Junior Ice Hockey Club
- Past Vice-President of Santa Rosa Express Youth Track Club
Areas of Practice